How to Effectively Pack a Box for Storage
By : Donovanstorage -
In order to efficiently move items from one place to another, it’s important to have a strategy in place before purchasing boxes. You must also ensure your belongings will stay safe while in storage. Below is a step-by-step guide for packing boxes more proficiently and resourcefully in order to protect them from the move and their time in storage.
- Group items of similar size, weight, and room. Try to do this before purchasing or finding boxes—you’ll be able to assess the size and strength that you need.
- Use packing peanuts or a similar insulator. Before putting items into your box, pour a layer of Styrofoam or packing peanuts into the bottom.
- Wrap heavier items. Bubble wrap and packing paper are the key to an efficient, safe packing strategy. Place these heavier items at the bottom of your box.
- Wrap lighter items. As with your heavier items, wrap lighter belongings in bubble wrap, packing paper, or newspaper. To ensure safety, separate these from items at the bottom with cushion foam or a blanket. The lightest items should be toward the top of your box.
- Cushion the entire box before closing. Pour extra packing peanuts or crumpled packing paper into unfilled spaces. This will prevent movement.
- Label your box. If you’re planning to put these items in storage, a simple label describing the box’s contents is perfect. Additionally, indicate when something is fragile or if it should be placed “this end up.” Even if you choose to move items yourself, the quick reminder will prevent accidental damage.